Aug. 1 2009 – Working backwards from here. This is the first page of the scene in which the Daedalus has been upgraded. The change is relatively minor – from ink-and-paint to not ink-and-paint, from scanline to mental ray. I’m not replacing the entire environment – just the ship. I’d decided awhile back that it was a bullshit idea and that I’d stick with the cell shader despite the inconsistencies, but then I realized that I still have most – if not all – of the render files. My inability to find some of the solo Daedalus shots is what was hanging me up – if they turn up, great. If not, I’ll match them as best as possible and rework the shots from scratch. I have all of the ship-in-the-environment shots, and I figured they’d be the tough ones.
Tedious, but not as difficult as I’d thought – for this page, anyway.
The Daedalus won’t be the only element of the scene to be replaced – the earth shot (bottom of the page) is going as well, but I’ll do that after I’ve finished replacing the ship, and have had the time to make other adjustments.
20090905 (20) – Lettered. For the record, I’m particularly happy with this bit of the rewrite.