Various website-related tasks I'd like to complete before pre-production of DCR.3 begins in earnest:
- [x] Universe : The cast members introduced in The Operative need entries - Jesse, Emily, and Judas Lang.
- [_] Tags : I need to take a shot at this and see how difficult it will be to implement and glue together. If the template wiring is successful, then TV and DCR will be tagged ASAP, with The Dualist following at some point.
- [-] Universe : Minor to extensive cleanup and revision, specifically of "first appearance" links for Thad, Ornix, and Tantek. If tagging implementation is successful, the Cast subsection of the Universe will be revised to include tag links for all characters.
- [x] Comments : The comment implementation will be revised to include DCR on a test basis. If this is successful (and if it remains spam-free), commenting will then be extended to The Dualist and TV.
- [_] RSS : Reader reports indicate a certain amount of feed wonkiness. I need to take a look at this and see what if anything can be done to improve the feed.
- [_] Chapter and Book Writeups : These have needed a massive "burn it down and start again" rewrite for quite awhile now. The intent is to replace the existing blurbs with a mix of technical details and an actual story synopsis.
- [_] Universe : Man, the Uni needs some love. Some serious love. As with the original version of the website, it's slipped off of the priorities list in favor of page production, and will doubtless do so again - before I dig in on DCR.3 I'd like get at least a bit more work done in this area.
- [x] Social Media : ATC presently has a twitter feed (which replaced bdha's perl script) and recently - thanks Stina! - a Facebook page. At some point I'd like to get the T plugged into the FB (assuming that's possible, signs point to CAN!), thus covering a variety of bases and cutting down broadcast updates to something I can do from my phone. While I'm sober. Hah.
Oh, and some CSS tweaks to make ordered (and unordered) lists look spiffier.
If you have any suggestions, any site issues that make your brain itch, etc - please feel free to comment!
20101120.14:03 : The Social Media thing has been whack-a-moled. I went with Selective Tweets, which is a decision I may backtrack on later, as it throws an #fb hashtag into the twitter stream (clutter on the ATC site) and presently updates to both my FB account and the ATC FB page. I'd prefer strictly the latter, obviously - at some point I may switch things around, so that ATC FB page updates blam out to the twitter feed. For the time being the existing setup updates in the desired direction, though it's a bit messy for my tastes.
20101121.16:40 : Cast entries are pretty much up to date. How Yang slipped through the cracks for this long is anybody's guess - he's up now, as are the DCR.2 noobs. Further revision to follow.
20101121.17:08 : Cleaned up production/chronological appearances for all cast members appearing (to date) in both Dead City Radio and The Dualist. Will need to do another round during/after DCR.3 and again during/after DCR.4. Makes item 3 on the TDL a [-] instead of a [x] for the time being, as that writeup implies another pass to implement tag links, which is something I haven't started on yet.
20101121.19:58 : With some under-the-hood help from Eric, Comment capability has been added to DCR, The Dualist, and Transitional Voices. This has been tested on DCR and TV, and is just as glitchy-but-works as it is with blog comments. This has a couple of additional to-do items attached to it - first, a day of waiting to see if the comment logic gnarffles analytics (followed by changes if necessary). Second, comments have to be individually enabled on a per-entry basis. Hence the [-] for item 4 - DCR and TV are entirely comment-enabled. TD2E will be "activated" over the course of the week. Hopefully the CAPTCHA will continue to keep the spam at its presently nonexistent levels.
20101122.22:52 : Comments are now enabled for all comic pages. Let me know if I missed one! Also, this is CMS entry six hundred and sixty-six! Woot!
Actually 666 is the entry for Yang. Mum's the word!
20101127.19:02 : TV picked up some comment spam. If this isn't intentional hand-crafted (or pasted) bullshit, then the CAPTCHA either isn't working 100% properly on the subdomains or it's been compromised by spambots. If the latter turns out to be the case (eg if spam persists and comic comments go unused by the readership) then the functionality will be removed from The Dualist and Transitional Voices and put into hibernation for DCR.
It took some time for spam to rear its ugly head the first time around - I figure I'll leave the system in place (with occasional mopping as needed) until the end of the year, at which point I'll decide what to do with it. Hopefully tags and the rest of the to-do list will be in place by then.