Bits You Won't See For Quite Awhile continue to build up.
II has been swatted, and I've finished processing and inserting the ten new panels that augment the existing pages of what will eventually be Chapter Seven. I've started CG work on the bit of geometry I'll need for two of the ten remaining pages, and I've been doing some here-and-there work on the Big CG that's holding up the other eight.
Unless I catch a visual gaffe during future lettering, this thing is done for visual re-processing.
Down to the rewrite, new pages, and new material.
Logjams include but are not limited to:
1. Ten pages of new stuff. Eight to launch the Back Four, two to finish Chapter Seven.
2. 3d bits for said, which are also needed to progress Dead City Radio. DCR needs more than that, but it's been needing the more than that and these bits since this time last year, so knocking the DCR CG to-do down to two (enormous) items will make the idea of progressing it a lot less... icky. Processing the panel inserts for the existing chapter seven pages was a cinch - the modeling was already done. This won't be as easy.... but the required material is much more significant. We're not talking a few pipes and a crank. We're talking the story equivalent of System Level bits.
3. Writing. I've chewed on a lot of plot stuff over the past few weeks, but Chapter Five isn't on that list. I have a feeling that given my work flow, my money flow, my life in general... this will probably be the last thing knocked off the immediate TDL. Writing's the thing I do when computers are out of reach - and being cripplingly, criminally destitute means no going out... which means the keyboard remains closer than the pen. Which means photoshop etc. take priority over writing.
Fortunately, the back half is more cleanup and tweaking than it is Starting Over. It's the same amount of work, mind you - but creatively, reading an old scene and rewording it for The Now is a lot easier than throwing out an old steamer and replacing it with something that fits. I've learned a thing or two about retroscripting with the first half.... though maybe not in the Stan Lee sense of the term- stylistically, I've no Claremontian Prose Obelisks to fall back on.
4. Covers. Progress on the back four has been so rapid that I'm now questioning the idea of chapter covers. I've been questioning them for awhile, really - I generated the backgrounds for the first four quickly enough... as planned, I still have seven (eight if you count TV) backgrounds to figure out, and - counting those - nine that need art. I could cheap out and cut that to one. The thought of it, it's tempting. Reduction of workload, elimination of nonessential material, etc. No ideas for any of those seven (eight) given the pattern I've established for the first four. Not a good sign.
Well... ideas. But they all involve a style shift - one that implies either a rework of existing covers (see the previous blog post with the previews) or some clear indicator that Change Is Merited. II does that all by itself, really... so it's a question of choice of II cover, and manufacture of 5-8 backs. And linework, etc.
The big icky is that in terms of where things are and how I'll likely be able to work on them, I'd vastly prefer to bust this thing out, then do the covers. Which is a massive, massive departure from How Things Have Been Done.
You'd think the repeated cover drafts would have been a clear indicator, but it's only now - when I've decided that drawing will be involved - that I start to rethink production priorities.
I needs me a drafting table.